Farmgirl School

"It is no bad thing to celebrate a simple life." -Tolkien

Well, I finally did it! It took me a year, but I pulled the plug on social media. Never would I have imagined that it would become so addictive. I do not usually have issues with addiction. I can have a cigar once every five years or a glass of wine with friends and then go for a long time without. I can have a cup of coffee…oh never mind, bad example. But social media was a whole other poison.

It seemed so innocent, didn’t it? I can reconnect with friends from seventh grade! (Did I have friends in seventh grade?) Our family can reconnect! (Maybe that wasn’t a good idea.) But really it just brings out the worst in people and becomes a popularity contest. It isn’t much different than high school. Will people like me? Will they care about what I am doing? Don’t I have a prettier picture than this? Oh, here’s one from ten years ago, that’ll work! Inevitably sad when someone close to me (or not close to me) responds with a rude comment or blocks me. (My niece blocked me after the last election.) The funny memes have been going around so many times that I stopped laughing.

I looked up the other day from my screen, upset and anxious over all the Covid-19 posts and political bashing, and realized that I have wasted hours- no years!- on this damn thing. People started fighting on one of my posts and the whole thing just needed to go. Addiction done. I wondered why I stuck around so long. All my photographs are probably the biggest factor. I let someone else (Facebook) hold onto my life and records for me. And boredom, I guess. An hour can go pretty quick scrolling. I always end up anxious after a bout of scrolling. I could have been out laughing at the baby goats, or reading a good magazine, or read a chapter of my book, or write, or bake, or hell, do something! Sit outside and look at the mountains. Find some peace.

My real friends call me anyway. My penpals are a postage stamp away. The small sect of people close to us already know our political, spiritual, and personal views and are rarely surprised. They check in on us. 80% of my huge family hangs on by a thread on social media. In the real world there isn’t time to keep up with 364 friends and family. We have forgotten what real relationships look like and feel like. It is time to reconnect. Not by keyboard, but by phone, or email, or over tea. It is time to fill my moments with joy. At the end of my life, I might regret the wasted time and irritation of social media. Better head outside to view the world. Real life is happening right here.

My email is Katie@PumpkinHollowFarm.net if y’all want to be penpals, I would love to exchange addresses.

15 thoughts on “Farewell Social Media (embracing old fashioned relationships)

1. I’ve been doing some serious soul-searching on this same subject for the past few weeks (no, probably years) and every time I decide to pull the plug, I back down. Your bravery is inspiring and your words are so true – there are a thousand different things we could be doing with our time rather than giving ourselves a headache scrolling through the nonsense that has become our Facebook feeds. Thanks for the post!

You are welcome! I will try to stick with it now!

2. Liza says:

Good Job! I did the same about 3 years old, and never looked back. It (Facebook) has some good things to its platform, but the bad things really out weights the good. I wanted to be more intentional with my family and friends. Its been a hard journey with the life being so busy at times. I’m trying harder to reach out more during these times of social distancing. Your post are ALWAYS inspiring ! Give Doug, the furry and feathery family members, your garden plot, and majestic views a HUG from me.

Hugs Liza! Miss seeing your pretty face!

3. webbermd says:

Katie, I deleted my Facebook account the summer of 2018. It took me almost 2 months to delete everything off Facebook and out of the archive folder. If you want to know more about it, I created a series of posts documenting my departure from the platform. Two years ago, I have lost contact with over 90% of my FB friends. My views on my website dropped 16% and my visitors dropped 8%. I can live with that, but I find it difficult accessing companies information that are only on Facebook, which requires a log in to access the full information. I have debated going back to help my website and views on YouTube, but I would not like to engage it again, especially since Facebook wants to bring social credit to America and introduce the digital currency Libra.

That is why I kept it. I have four business pages on it. My close friends “like” every post! After the first few years of facebook, it was not reaching an audience enough to sustain business. I also know a lot of people are jumping ship! Thanks for your input! Appreciate it.

1. webbermd says:

Same issue happened to me. My Living a Sustainable Dream page was never on people’s newsfeed, unless I posted there 1st, then shared the post to my personal page. The people who liked my blog page never saw posts unless there were a personal friend. Facebook wants people to pay to promote their business page to the very people who are following the page.

4. papersmiles2015 says:

“Well Done” to all who have kicked the social media habit. hugs, Barbara

5. Good move! I appreciate your story!

Thanks! Now to stick with it!

6. I’ve wanted to do the same thing for a while. The only thing keeping me back is I babysit and that’s how some parents find me. :/

Business is one of the main reasons I stayed on too. Tricky situation!

7. Brittany says:

I did the same thing years ago! It`s so freeing. My only downside is the way that people assume everyone is on Facebook… even my child`s preschool has a parent group on facebook, where things are shared that I miss. So that part is frustrating. But I still prefer the old fashioned way of just talking to each other! Paper invitations instead of impersonal facebook event pages. Calling people to share good news instead of having them read about it. And now, when I do see people or family I have not seen in a while, we actually have something to talk about instead of one of us saying “Oh yea, I saw that on your facebook a few weeks ago…“
    Good for you for freeing yourself and I wish you the best in sticking with it!

I love this! Thank you for sharing!