When making a bedroom cozy, or a kitchen entertainment friendly, or in this case, setting up a reading nook, there are specific components to decorating a space to consider. The addition of the following things will create a peaceful, flowing, and delightful space.
1. Incorporate plants- Besides the obvious benefits of cleaning the air and releasing oxygen, they are beautiful live creations to share the space with. Put a small rose in a pot from the grocery store. Don’t be afraid to bring in big plants and some unusual ones. I have a poinsettia year round and a large Asian aloe. Use pots that please you.
2. Add gentle light- Do not turn on the overhead lights! Twinkly lights and candles make a space so serene. Oil lamps add unexpected coziness. My eyes have been a little funny lately so I begrudgingly hauled up a lamp from the basement and put it behind my reading chair. It actually feels cozy as well.
3. Add color- Add at least three colors and then repeat them. Even if you are an austere type of decorator, add three different shades of white. My pops of southwestern color all work together because at least some of the colors repeat themselves in the patterns. The vibrant pink, reds, blue, and the yellow all are found in two or more items. It doesn’t matter what the pattern is as long as the colors repeat; florals can mixed with stripes and other designs.
4. Add comfortable places to sit. We have our two god-awful recliners with chewed arm rests, but covering them with inexpensive blankets transforms them. A rocking chair with pillows is always inviting.
5. Add things you love. Like books, or souvenirs, or cats.
Finally, take time to enjoy your space. It’s a little crazy out there sometimes. Everyone is in such a rush. At the grocery store the other day there was a quite elder woman who moved slowly and kept adjusting her oxygen tube. She stood in front of me in line and every few minutes she would mutter, “Come on! Hurry up!” to the people in front of her. She sighed exasperated and practically bumped the lady in front of her out of the way to get to the counter. Why on earth was she in such a hurry? And did she get there any faster? On the way home, on thirty mile and hour roads, tailgaters checked out my bumper.
Listen folks, life is going to end before we know it and I know y’all trying to get there before it does, but slow and easy is the new beauty secret and anti-depressant. You will get there when you get there. We ought to cut everyone some slack and not schedule ourselves to the point of hysteria. Take some things out of your schedule. Take time to smile and chat with the cashier. Drive safely. If someone is driving in front of you super slow, pretend like it is your grandpa or your granddaughter. Just easy now.
And after the supper dishes are cleared, pour a glass of wine and set down in your reading and resting area and enjoy the space. The way you decorate can be a respite from the world.