My Favorite Easy To Grow Flowers

When approaching Great Grandma’s house after school, the riotous red geraniums greeted me first.  Their clusters of happy petals waving softly in the breeze.  Geraniums equaled Great Grandma’s house.  Geraniums are synonymous with large glasses of iced tea and hours of playing rummy.

IMG_1899

In my books about the Italian countryside the open windows of the stucco houses are always decorated with pots of colorful geraniums.  Faces to sun, waving their arms in the air, welcoming folks home.

Geraniums are annuals, so every year I left them in their pots on the porch, and they died over the winter.  I read about rooting pieces of the plant, or storing the plant.  As a mom of young children, anything extra that had to be done with plants was not going to happen.  Most fell under canopies of snow.

Three years ago at the farmer’s market I purchased two pots of geraniums.  They graced the steps of the porch and gave an air of summer.  At the end of the season, I moved them indoors and placed them on the dining room table facing the south winter sun.  They flourished.  In the spring, I repotted them, moved to a new home, and put them on the porch again.  They had doubled their size.  They were fabulous.

I brought them in again and they doubled their size again while spending their winter vacation indoors in the south and west windows.

I use an organic fertilizer (Old Age Grow) maybe four times a year.  I cut off wild and crazy stems that threaten to smack bystanders.  I attempt to keep them tame.  Give them a larger pot.  The leaves start to brown near the bottom of the plant and the edges turn a bit by the time it is warm enough to put them back on the porch.  Currently they are being nibbled by an adorable infant goat.

Some years back I was a caregiver for a gentleman named Al.  He had fabulous stories of his time as a scientist during the war.  He was kind and a gentleman.  He enjoyed sitting on the balcony of his apartment.  On it sat a pot of petunias that were under a bit of distress.  I watered them and dead headed the passed flower heads.  He called me the next day astounded.  The whole plant had come back to life and fresh blossoms danced on his balcony.  Petunias are very easy to grow.

My petunias are in their third year.  A discounted six pack of flowers for ninety-nine cents from Walmart at the end of the season.  I thought they would be pretty in the pots of herbs that I transplanted and brought into the house for winter.  I certainly did not expect them to live this long!  Water, occasional organic fertilizer, and dead heading, plus a lovely south window will keep flowers indefinitely blooming.  They move to the porch in the summer, into the window in winter, and thrive.

Great Grandma and my grandparents used to live next door to each other.  Their back yards were filled with rose bushes taller than I.  Thick with aromatic roses of all colors, their yards were enchanting and definitely a special place.  I tried for years in vain to grow roses, each and every one died.  I figured the women in my family had special gardening powers and I should just give up.  I overheard a woman talking to another and said very sweetly, “It is a pleasure to grow roses in Colorado.”  You will not hear that too often about any other crop.  Colorado is a constant learning experience and challenge.

My only exception had been a small potted mini rose plant that Doug had bought me from the grocery store.  I planted it outside and years later it was three feet high!  It is an inexpensive way to grow roses.  Just get a pot from the store, enjoy it indoors, and then transplant it.

We have very hot summers here so I found that roses are happier on the west side of the house or the east side of the house where they can get a slight reprieve from the sun.

Dig a hole a foot deep and fill with water.  When the water has dissipated, add the rose bush.  Cover with soil and slightly tamp it down.  A little coffee and water helps get it started.  Dead head rose heads (we use the roses in medicine) for possible new growth.  Leave the heads in the fall so that rose hips form.  These are used for arthritis treatment.

daffodil

Of course, tulips and daffodils are always welcome after a long, cold winter.  Deer adore tulips, nearly as much as I do, and will eat them promptly, but daffodils are poisonous so wildlife leaves them alone.  Fabulous.  I even forced them inside this year.  Not as stunning as their outdoor explosions, but a lovely moment in February.

Growing flowers is a lovely way to incorporate aromatherapy and beauty into one’s every day life.

1. This is the coolest post ever … love your little fan of flowers! Bren

Elsa is my resident pruner!

2. Janice says:

We have a very large deer population on our property – so the only bulb that I have planted outside of the fenced gardens, are daffodils. I have planted 100’s and 100’s … and they have flourished … until last year … when we got goats … and apparently daffodils are not toxic to goats, they are delicious 😦

1. jamescf4 says:

I thought daffodils were poisonous to goats…??

1. Janice says:

Unfortunately not 🙂 We have a ton of Foxglove on our property – but the goats will not touch that – they know it’s poisonous. I have just had to decide that with 11 goats (4 adults and 7 babies) I can not spend all day protecting my daffodils, so I will just move them into the fenced garden this year 🙂

3. My French Heaven says:

What a lovely post!! Geraniums are one of my favorites as well. The hanging ones especially. I still have to wait another month or so before I start planting…

Are there a lot of geraniums in France as well?

1. My French Heaven says:

Tons! Probably one of the most used flowers

I have a flower loving little girl. My 4-yr-old can’t keep her nose and hands off flowers. She will one day be my flower gardener.

I also have a rose bush that sits on the northwest corner of my house. It was a Mother’s Day gift from my youngest son several years ago and now that he is gone, it is the one thing I don’t want to leave behind when we move from this house. So my challenge this year is to figure out how to start a new rose bush from my Mother’s Day bush. Or maybe starting a few would make more sense. After all, I’m not sure I can have too many to take with me. I’ll just need to plant them away from my goats.

Take that rose bush! Either dig the whole thing up (my grandma did that) or start rooting. That is a wonderful memory/plant to take with you.

5. Karon Wurst says:

I purchased two geraniums last summer for the cemetery, which I do every year. I also have brought them in for the winter. This winter my geraniums did not grow tall and leggy, with no leaves on the stems, and very small flowers. This year the plants are full and short and each have had large flower heads. I wonder if I got a different variety last summer. I am just so happy with them.

It will be interesting to see what they do once they go back outside!

6. Vickie says:

I love geraniums but – I know I’m weird – I don’t like roses! When I was little I had to go out and dead-head my grandmother’s rose garden. I was stuck and cut by all those thorns, they tore at my dresses and knotted up my hair! To this day, the scent of roses reminds me of that horrible chore! But, I do love jasmine. My backyard fences are covered in jasmine and every spring (it’s almost time – the buds are about to burst) I open my windows wide open to fill the house with their fragrance! No need for air fresheners!

We don’t have jasmine here, I bet it is delightful. When I teach my herbalist classes I notice that everyone has different favorites for one reason or another. Roses are my favorite because I just had to smell them at my Grandma’s. I may not have liked them so much if I were in your shoes!