Anthropomorphizing Goats and Breech Babies

Throughout writing this blog, I have been adamant about having upbeat writing.  I delete negative comments.  I try to only write positive and humorous articles and keep you laughing as we dictate the pages of our history.  It seems as if many of you have become family.  Friends.  You have entered our lives through the portals of social media and writings and live each day as it unfolds for us.  You have watched our children grow, our granddaughter be born, this farm come into being, and have cheered us on and rejoiced as corn grew and animal babies were born and adopted.  There have been a few articles as the ebb and flow of life come upon us.  The death of our daughter’s dear friend, chickens killed, dog died.  It is a part of the life of a farm and one I didn’t fully understand when I decided upon the most upbeat, fun, and humorous blog I could muster.  Overall, I hope that I have given you a fun blog to read each day.  Something to brighten your day, to live on a farm even if you don’t, or to nod your head in knowing if you do live on a farm through my stories and antidotes.

petting goats

I often anthropomorphize my animals.  Anthropomorphize is a literary term used to demonstrate giving animals human feelings and characteristics.  It is often used as folly as opposed to reality.  A term that hints that animals don’t actually have feelings.  I can tell you right now, folks, that every single one of my chickens has a different personality just as my cats do.  It is wonderful to live among so many sentient beings.  To share my life and days and time and memories with so many animals.

Loretta

We have all been waiting with baited breath as I have cried wolf so many times for Loretta to give birth.  Loretta is a small, black goat, the size and stature of a basset hound with the personality of a young child and the firm belief that she is a dog.  She follows us everywhere.  She helps Doug with the morning chores.  (Helps is relative.)  She cuddles and gets excited to see us.  She greets people that visit the farm.  She was to be our mascot as I would like to do more children’s programs here at the farm.  She is a perfect farm animal.  Loving and sweet.

We found out she was pregnant when I posted a picture of how big she was on the blog and my friend that gave her to me rushed over.  Sure enough she had accidentally been bred when my friend left her at a boarder’s.  She was not quite one year’s old so we prepared for possible problems but stayed optimistic.  Twins.  We just couldn’t wait to see those tiny black goats running about.

She went into labor yesterday morning and the two babies ended up being one large boy.  Jill came over again to see what the hold up was and realized the large boy was breach.  We tried everything yesterday.  The vet, her experienced friend, back to the vet.  A foot stuck out of her backside for hours until she was able to get in for a C-section.  The baby had ruptured her uterus.  She wouldn’t be able to have any more babies and the baby within her died.  We cheerfully said that would be fine, she can be our mascot for the farm!

She was in dreadful pain last night as we checked on her.  She was dead this morning.

I hope that this news will be one of just a few snippets throughout the years of bad news.  That it will be highly unbalanced with great news.  Babies being born, adopted, corn growing, family growing, farm growing, beautiful prose, memories, and funny recollections of farm life.  But in real life, I suppose, there are the sad moments as well.  Today is a sad moment.

Rest in Peace Loretta.

1. Janice says:

We are so sorry to hear of Loretta’s passing. Those beautiful little animals grow a lovely space in our heart, and it’s so sad to have to see them go.

Indeed. Tough week. I am looking forward to posting about new babies and pleasant things! Loretta has certainly left a void around here.

2. Wendy says:

I looked earlier this a.m. for any kind of post regarding Loretta and her baby. I am so sorry.
    Yes, animals have feelings, both emotionally and physically. It is very sad when one of our ‘children’ has issues or passes away. We would like them to live forever, but alas, it cannot be.
    Rest in Peace Loretta and baby.

It was so hard because the pain she went through before she died was so immense we could not help but feel it too. 😦

3. Barbara S. says:

All living things that touch our lives place markers on our hearts. That Loretta claimed you as family was such a wonderful and always remembered gift. As in all things the three “L’s” prevail…..Living, Learning, and Loving. Holding you in my thoughts. Barbara

So true. Thank you!

4. So very sorry for Loretta and you. We never want our animals to suffer.

No suffering would be so nice!

So sorry to hear that Loretta and her baby didn’t survive. Unfortunately, it’s part of the reality of farm life. But something that isn’t always reality on a farm is that animals are treated with love and care. You gave her that and that is something special.

I know that it is part of farming but certainly the most heartbreaking part. Farming is not for the faint of heart.

6. LuckyRobin says:

Oh, I am sorry. That is so sad.

It truly was. We are getting another baby, hopefully!

7. Genevieve says:

Oh Katie! I’m so very sorry! How truly heartbreaking =(

Thanks Genevieve, it was a big shock to us!

8. Llza says:

My heart is heavy for you this morning. Saying a prayer of comfort and peace for you this morning.

Thank you so much Liza. And I just realized I missed the health fair. Sorry!

9. Each time my goats had a difficult birth, I would wonder why I wanted to keep raising them. There seems something so wrong with dying on the day you are born. Also death while giving birth. But those experiences are less common than the happy births of living, healthy kids. You did everything you could, and provided a loving home for Loretta. Keep on farming.

I just remember that it seems like it would be easier to live in a high rise apartment with no animals, but then again maybe it wouldn’t. We love this life too much!

10. I’m so, so sorry to hear of your loss. My thoughts are with you!

Thank you! A better week is ahead!

11. Bill says:

So sorry to read this. We’ve lost a lot of kids this season and some mothers that we’ve known and loved a long time. We also have celebrated many happy births and joyful kids–two born last night. It’s the reality of farm life. So I do understand what you’re saying and appreciate how beautifully you’ve said it. I am sorry for the loss of Loretta, even as I am happy for the happiness she brought you during her life. Peace to you and blessings on your farm.

I’m sure it doesn’t get any easier! Looks like we are getting a bottle baby soon.

12. Anna says:

I’m so sorry. I cried. I too think of my animals as human most of the time. I love them as if they are human. Hugs…my heart goes out to you and your family. Sweet Loretta.

It was sad. New babies will be coming to the farm soon though to help heal up any remaining heartache!

13. frugalhen says:

Oh no! So sorry! RIP Little Loretta.