Time Travel With An Old Farmdog

Can a dog represent an entire era?  Walking down the halls of memory, he is behind every door.  In the corners of every reminisce.

IMG_1738

The warm sun takes the chill out of the breeze as we sit around the freshly shoveled soil, soft and disheveled.  We are sitting on the cool ground fondling the green weeds coming up slightly through last year’s carpet of leaves.  Music is playing from Emily’s phone and Maryjane dances in place.  She attempts to shove handfuls of dirt in her mouth and laughs at the baby goat’s antics.  Andy sits against the large fallen tree trunk.  He smokes his cigarette, methodically remembering every event with Windsor.  I smile too.  When we picked him from the pet store, Andy barely three.  The small, white dog running about the front yard with the children, wild with youth, jumping over rocks.  Joining Emily on a sixteen mile walk to my Grandparent’s house.  A night I stayed up, eyes pried open, a baseball bat in hand, fearing for my life as my ex-husband got out of jail, a shaking, small dog that never left my side.  The year he won a pet costume contest as a vampire.  Picking him up from doggy daycare after vacations and finding that he was in front with the employees, always a favorite.  Wagging his tail when the chickens passed by.  Cuddling with the cats.  Emily meticulously paints the downed log.  In script writes Windsor’s name and dates.  The log sits in front of the newly dug soil.  Shyanne was working, but had given her good bye kisses the night before.  All the children gathered around the living room on an evening that was not a holiday to reminisce and cry.

windsor and maryjane

From such youth, early twenties, a mother of a toddler and a newborn to sitting beneath this tree with my grandchild by my side.  Wisps of grey start to show and light wrinkles quietly descend upon me.  It is surreal to be here in this place.  Watching the clouds crawl across the sky I see my life, an era passed.  The children grown, my youth gone, my dog gone.  Time in front of me.  But the end of an era nonetheless.  Time traveling with a wonderful family dog.  Now, we look forward and see farm dogs (real ones), family dogs, but none shall replace the dog of the past era.  Windsor Wizzer Sanders, 12/15/95 to 3/3/2014.  Rest in Peace.

1. Anna says:

I’m so sorry for your loss of your furry family member. I lost my little white furry best friend 2 1/2 years ago. He was 15 1/2 and I loved him dearly. My heart goes out to you and your family.

I guess the good news is that we can all adopt another little monster and give them a good life! I am sorry for your loss too.

2. Julie Pullum says:

I cannot imagine how sad you are and can only say how sorry I am for your loss

Thank you, he was a lucky dog! He didn’t want to leave even at the end. Hard to believe that I had him longer than my youngest daughter AND he met my granddaughter. That’s a long life!

3. p3farm says:

What a wonderful long life your precious dog had. May you have comfort in the memories. I am so sorry for your loss.

He had a good time all the years he was here. I am glad the kids had a dog to grow up with!

4. Patty says:

Thank you for your beautiful story. He lived a long and wonderful life. I have not doubt you will be reunited some day.

Thank you, he was a lucky dog!

5. I’m sorry. But the life of a good dog is definitely something to celebrate and enjoy. God made something very special when he made the dog.

He was a celebrated dog indeed. He was also really naughty. He had a great life here among all the kids!

RIP Windsor. You lived a wonderful long life and will no doubt be missed by all who loved you!!!

He had a good life! He had lots of kids to play with.

7. frugalhen says:

Oh goodness! I’m just heart broken for you! But I know you all made Windsor as happy as he made you. RIP Windsor.

Happier, I am sure. He had kids to play with him his whole life. He was a loved dog!