New Arrival on Pumpkin Hollow Farm

newbornpapa and goatnew goatGuess who came early?  I don’t usually pull all the way to the back of our driveway but I had a bucket of grounds from the coffee shop to add to the compost pile before the cab of my truck took on the distinctive moldy coffee smell.  It wasn’t long after I noticed that the goats were in their igloo, odd for that time of day, that a tiny third head popped into view, then out again.

I yelled for Shyanne excitedly and we ran over to see the new baby who had just been born.  Placenta and mucous still present.  Shyanne swayed between cooing and ewwing while adoring the new addition who was not much bigger than a Chihuahua pup.  Nigerian Dwarf kids are incredibly tiny and impossibly cute!

Mama did good and is taking care of the infant.  We now wait for Loretta.  We are tired as one of us goes out every few hours through the night to make sure the new kid is okay.  She tends to wander from the igloo and get lost and is so small I fear a predator will swoop her up.  Just worrisome Mommy instincts, for there have been no issues.  Today she turns two days old.

This is one of the greatest joys of farming.

1. This is so exciting! I hope you will write about the babies again soon. After playing with the goats at our CSA,I have long wanted goats and your goats are likely the closest I will have to actually having them. Good job mamma goat!!

You never know…we did not expect to get goats so soon. You may end up with a few goats and wonder how they got there!

2. Julie Pullum says:

Soooo cute! Thanks for sharing these lovely pictures

You are certainly welcome! More to come.

3. How adorable!! You are both excellent mommies!! Can’t wait to see more pics of the new wonder and find out it’s name.
    Rita

The family that is adopting her named her Buttercup. Cute!

Ohhh!!!! Your first goat kid!!!! How exciting!!! How adorable!!!
    And as I was typing my comment I realized that I didn’t know if you have a new doeling or buckling!!! But since you said “she” you must have a doeling. A future producer of milk on your farm.

A wee little girl. She and Loretta’s twins are sold already if they are girls. We are too small to have any more adult goats! We will keep Katrina and Loretta for milk this year! The new baby is smaller than a Pomeranian. Oh my goodness, so much cuteness wrapped in a little bundle of goat baby!

5. frugalhen says:

Oh my gosh! I actually squealed out loud when I read this! How exciting and CUUUUUTE!

She defies cute! I can’t wait for the other two to get here as well!