How to Put Out a Kitchen Fire

I have set the stove on fire more times than I would like to admit.  It’s been a long time but I know my son would laugh at this statement because I am sure he remembers me as a young mom who kept my secret weapon by the stove to put the fire out.

bake soda

Sunday we were at family dinner at Maryjane’s other grandparents’ house sitting around laughing and enjoying good conversation as we waited for the pot pies to finish baking.  Their juices bubbling up over the crust, the smell of home cooking wafting through the air.  Until smoke started rising from the burners.  Susan opened the oven door and said calmly, “The oven is on fire!”

“Do you have baking soda?” I asked.  Frazzled, she said yes but it was in the refrigerator in the garage.  Someone said there was a fire extinguisher.  I said, “Don’t use the fire extinguisher!  The food will all be ruined.”  They continued opening the oven door to see the fire and closing it and beginning to panic.  I ran to the garage, grabbed the box of baking soda from the fridge and in two sprinkles the fire was out.  The food was unharmed, the bottom of the oven can be swept out, and their house is still in tact.  I do love baking soda.  A wonderful family dinner ensued.

baking soda

Other uses for baking soda:

Use as toothpaste.  It whitens and cleans teeth.

Place 1/2 a cup in a bath to detoxify skin and get chlorine out after swimming.  It also softens skin.

Use as a scrubbing cleanser on sinks and bathtubs.  It whitens and cleans without scratching.

Clear a drain with baking soda and vinegar.  Pour baking soda down drain then top with vinegar till fizzy. Leave overnight.  Pour a kettle of boiling water down drain.

Odor control in refrigerator.

Sprinkle a little in the cat box for odor control.

Bake with it, of course.

And put out fires!  Baking soda is a homesteading necessity!

1. Reblogged this on homesteaddad and commented:
    I guess I need to remember where the baking soda is at all times.

Thank you for sharing my work!

1. No problem, it’s easy when it is such good information.

I’ve used baking soda on more than one occasional to clean up vomit. Sprinkle liberally on vomit and it will remove the odor and soak up the moisture. Once it dries, sweep or vacuum it up.

Put a mixture of baking soda and vinegar in a plastic bag. Submerge shower head into bag and tie it up to soak. It was remove build up from the shower head.

I also use a mixture of baking soda, vinegar and dish soap to mop floors, clean counters, and toilets.

Baking soda is magical!!!!

Thanks for sharing!

3. I enjoy your blog very much, and this post is such useful information I had to share it on my own blog. 🙂 Thank you! 🙂

4. Genevieve says:

It can be sprinkled in the diaper pail after a few diapers to keep that odor under control… and it washes out without harming cloth diapers.

That’s right! Anywhere that requires a little odor control.