Homesteading Freedom

img_0200.jpg

Everything costs something; either time or money.  Everything will require something as its payment.  We used to have a cleaning lady, nice cars, enjoyed expensive restaurants, took the kids on cruises.  We worked hard for the money and spent it on what we deemed the good life.  But it was a farce.  It was an illusion of freedom.  Behind cubicle walls and by his phone strapped to his belt, Doug was actually a prisoner.  I, too, even though I owned my own business and raised my own children, was stuck in the “gotta make more money” and “need more time” trap that so many moms feel these days.

Emily, Shyanne, and Peep
Emily, Shyanne, and Peep

I remember clearly a conversation that my friends and I were having at dinner one night when we talked about organic, vegetarian food compared to quick, processed food.  They were arguing with me that theirs was far cheaper.  I said, “A bag of organic beans is less than two dollars!”  “But you have to spend more time making everything.  We don’t have time.  You have to spend more time to save money.”

with jovie

Doug and I are working ridiculous amounts of hours right now.  We are putting up money and goods for the winter like little squirrels….exhausted ones!  But we know the trade off.  One always has to work.  What will you work for?  I want to work on preparing and storing my own food, making what clothing I can, selling excess to help pay bills, creating and selling herbal medicines to support us on our own time.  We heal people, we are as self sufficient as we can be at this moment, we work hard, but we fall into bed satisfied each evening.  We are much happier than we ever were when our tax returns said we were living a good life.  We know that we traded money for time.  Time spent doing things we want to do and creating a life that is more satisfying to us than our run-around city life.

yarn

We try to walk softer on the earth.  Not use so many resources.  Pollute less.  Use less electricity.  Buy less stuff.  Stay home more and enjoy each other and our animals.  We have created a life no one expected us to have.  Don’t wait.  Don’t do the five year plan….the “when I retire”….”the when I get land”….the “when I get married”…the “when the kids move out”…just do it.  If you want to live simply.  If you want to take that leap of faith to become a homesteader, do it now. Life goes faster than anyone wants to admit, and the peace of living as a homesteader far outweighs any fears.  Homesteading is freedom.

1. Sarah says:

Hi. I’ve talked with you at the Woodland Park Farmers market … buying coffee … from Kansas. I’m now enjoying following your blog. We’re taking steps in the homesteading direction but am so using the “when we get land” excuse for our own food production! What great inspiration to just go for it. I would add, buy less stuff and what you do buy, buy used. Most everything already exists, no need to buy brand new.

That is so true! I feel like I have WAY too much stuff in the house. We really don’t need another thing…maybe just a few old farm aprons! See you at the market!

I still have big plans for our “next homestead” so it helps to call this our practice farm. Learn everything I can and homestead here and the next place will be easy! 🙂

We are taking the approach of growing where we’re planted. I have the peppers and zucchini to prove that right now 🙂 But I want more. I want the land, the chickens, and the goats. I can’t have that where we live now. So while I’m waiting to have all my homesteading dreams fulfilled, (not so patiently I might add), I’m also doing. There is a lot of satisfaction in that.

I agree! We get caught up in, “We need a well, and more space, and a barn, and a smaller house, and……” Grow where planted (for now…)!

3. It really helps to think of it as practice. I am a bare-bones-beginner as far as homesteading goes, since all I can claim are a few chickens and all the game we could possibly want to fill our freezer…but I’ve been cooking from scratch and come spring we are trying again with the garden. So it’s a start. 😀

But you’re so right. It’s really easy to postpone everything for “when we have land”, or “when we have our own place”, or “when we have such and such”. At the same time, it’s great to NOT have that perfect place, because then it’s a little easier to think of it as practice. 🙂

I do like to think I will be an expert homesteader by the time I get my “real” farm! Lots of practice! Look forward to hearing about your garden!