Our Future Goat

IMG_0593

Well, we found them.  The cutest goats in the world.  It’s been a long journey.  We pulled into the driveway and could hear them.  The incessant bleating of babies wanting to be picked up and given a bottle!  What we encountered was a large pen of Pomeranian-sized infants with little round feet, big eyes, and heartwarming antics.  Running on top of each other to get our attention, they would stop to wrestle, then settle down to the business of winning us over.  They were so tiny, how could we not fall for them?

IMG_0588

You remember my story about the bruiser Nubians?  And then I was pondering Angoras and Alpines?   But then we met Nigerian Dwarves.  And our future is set.  We are getting goats next spring if all goes well.  Right now I bought a double share of milk from the family we visited so that we will have plenty of cheese and butter throughout the winter if I freeze the milk.  What a treat!  And we now have a source to adopt adorable goats from come next year.

IMG_0592

Nigerian Dwarves are good, little milkers; enough for a family.  They are compact creatures with puppy-like behavior that want to live in the house and follow you everywhere.  Our kind of animal.  Their babies melt hearts instantly.  Our future is sealed.

1. Pat Meyers says:

So cute. I love watching baby goats play. Would love to have some, but think chickens are enough for now.

For us as well, but in the future there may be some cute goats waiting for us!

This is the breed I’ve been most interested in and can’t wait to read all about your goat adventures.

I can’t wait to get them and start writing about it! Next spring, I guess…

3. frugalhen says:

These are my favorite too! I can’t wait to have my own little herd of them following me around!

Oh my goodness, it was cute overload!